The marina has been operating from its current location since the early 1960’s, end under current management since the end of 2005.
There have been many improvements to the facilities and the range of services over these years.
- The Marina has been operating on a commercial basis from its current location since the early 1960’s.
- The earliest recorded consent is dated the 17th April 1962.
- The consent was granted by Council for a “Boatshed and Shop” to K. Johnson of Bay Street, Killcare.
- Following the approval of the boatshed and shop, a Wharf was approved dated the 3rd July 1964 to K.Johnson of #46 Araluen Drive, Killcare. A Permissive Occupancy was granted.
- In 1966 a Permissive Occupancy was approved by the then Land Board Office. It was granted to the then owners Adrian Lewis and Joanne Lewis of Cabarita. The P.O. encompassed those structures generally approved by the Council prior to that date.
- In 1980 Killcare Marina was purchased by Leslie and Phyllis Sparks.
- In 1992 Gosford City Council granted consent for the installation of 5 commercial swing moorings in Hardys Bay, dated the 16th December 1992.
- In 1994 the berthing area at the end of the marina was approved to allow the permanent mooring of concrete barge for containment of oils, paints, etc. and to provide protection from seasonal westerly winds.
- Concrete Barge was purchased and moored at the end of the wharf.
- In 1995, after a fire had destroyed much of the building, the then owners Leslie and Phyllis Sparks took the opportunity to rebuild the building, and, in response to increasing demand for better facilities, also rebuilt the wharf and installed customer toilet and shower.
- In 2003 the marina facility Lease agreement between the Department of Lands and Leslie and Phyllis Sparks was approved for a further 20 years.
- The lease area applied to those structures generally approved by the Council prior to that date.
- The berthing area to allow the existing concrete barge was subject to a Licence agreement between the Department of Lands and Leslie and Phyllis Sparks.
- Killcare Marina was purchased by Top 8 Pty Limited (the Company) in October 2005 and both the Lease and the License were transferred.
- The licence for 5 commercial swing moorings in Hardys Bay was transferred, dated the 24th October 2005.
- In 2005 we launched a simple short-term “Killcare Marina” web-site.
- In 2005 NSW Maritime granted consent to the Company for the installation of 1 commercial swing mooring in Hardys Bay, dated the 13th December 2005.
- On 19 December 2005 NSW Fisheries granted consent to Killcare Marina to remove mangroves and maintain mangrove free access on lease area.
- In 2005 we started up an Insurance Business, and became agent for Club Marine Insurance Australia.
- In 2005 we renewed and increased capacity of waste receptacles.
- In 2005 we introduced Marina Mooring Agreement which states customer responsibilities. The agreement was based on standard industry agreement by BIA.
- In 2005 we performed an OHS audit. High risk tasks were identified and safe working procedures developed for each of these tasks. Environmental / Occupational Health and Safety Policy add Emergency Response Procedures were developed and implemented.
- On the 20th November 2006, Gosford City Council granted consent to the Company for hire boat operations. An initial boat hire fleet of 5 aluminum hire boats and 10 canoes was established.
- Boat Hire operations have been conducted since that date under Hire and Drive Licence by NSW Maritime.
- In 2006 NSW Maritime granted consent to the Company for the installation of 2 commercial swing moorings in Rileys Bay, dated the 24h October 2006.
- In August 2006 we modified the building - extended the verandah and arranged another office room.
- In 2006 we re-designed our presentation including: Logo, Letterheads, MYOB Forms, Presentation style, Business cards, Signage, Cars signs, Uniform style, Flags, etc. We installed Flags on the Jetty and provided uniform for the personnel.
- In 2006 we started up our current Management System: business planning and reporting structure; accounting and budgeting; IT infrastructure with shared data and exchange of information. We installed PABX telephone system.
- In 2006 we signed up for Clean Marina Program, and implemented Operations Manual and Environmental Management Plan (EMP). The EMP has been developed in line with the AS 3962-2001 and included Emergency Response Plan. The Marina operates under the auspices of the EMP since then.
- Number of procedures invoked dealing with environmental issues. We restricted use of ablative antifouling, banned in water hull maintenance, decided to install a vessel sewage pump out, upgraded and installed marina signage and installed bunding for crane. We removed the diesel crane engine from the barge and replaced it with electric motor to address noise and air pollution issues.
- In 2007 NSW Maritime granted consent to the Company for the installation of 1 commercial swing mooring in Hardys Bay.
- In February 2007 Killcare Marina site was listed on Gosford Heritage Inventory. Statement of significance says "Although substantially re-built in 1995, the Killcare Marina site is significant for its continued use as a public facility on Brisbane Water."
- In 2007 in collaboration with Gosford City Council we installed Sewage Pump Out.
- On 16 July 2007 Gosford City Council granted Trade Waste Permit to the Company for the discharge of liquid trade waste.
- In 2007 we performed an audit to identify the particular legal risks to which the business is exposed. We designed Compliance Program, revised and updated Policies & Job Descriptions, Operational Procedures, Standard Forms, Training Program, compiled and published relevant Manuals and undertook specific compliance training of staff.
- 28.03.2008 we launched “Killcare Marina” website.
- In 2009 NSW Maritime granted consent to the Company for the installation of 1 commercial swing mooring in Hardys Bay, dated the 2nd March 2009.
- In August 2010 we purchased BBQ Punt, which quickly became a valuable addition to boat hire fleet.
- In September 2010 we launched a temporary Hire Boat Pontoon.
- In 2011 NSW Maritime granted consent to the Company for the installation of 1 commercial swing mooring in Hardys Bay.
- In 2011 we introduced changes to our Mooring Agreement.
- In February 2011 we launched our updated website.
- In 2011 we conducted a special review of the Marina Operations Manual and have completely redeveloped boat hire section.
- In 2011 we designed, fabricated, and in December 2011 commissioned a new Boat Lift.
- In 2012 NSW Maritime granted consent to the Company for the installation of 1 commercial swing mooring in Hardys Bay, dated the 7th December 2012.
- In 2012 we purchased and modified to suit our 2 workboats - the main workboat in February 2012, and the small workboat in August 2012.
- On the 19 October 2012 Boat Hire Business was sold to Central Coast Boat Hire Pty Limited and the Hire and Drive Licence by NSW Maritime was transferred.
- In February 2012 had dismantled the crane from the barge.
- In 2013 we designed, fabricated and in March 2013 commissioned an upgraded Hire Boat Pontoon.
- In April 2013 we commissioned dinghy storage shelf on the Wharf.
- In December 2013 we lodged a DA to extend the wharf and increase the number of berths by 6.
- In 2013 we started a project to transform the concrete barge moored at the end of the Marina wharf, into a workshop and improve her visual appearance.
- In 2014 we refurbished our Slipway.
- In 2014 we installed a solar generation plant.
- In June 2014 we redeveloped our current Agreement into a new Marine Craft Handling Agreement and introduced number of changes to the Marina Regulations.
- On the 3 March 2015, Gosford City Council granted consent to the Company to extend the wharf and increase the number of berths by 6.
- In May 2015 Boat Hire Business changed hands, and Central Coast Boat Bike and Paddle Hire became our new trusted partner, running the boat hire business from the premises.
- In April 2015 we conducted a legal expertise of our current Agreement, redeveloped it into a new Marina User Agreement, and introduced number of changes to the Marina Regulations.
- On the 10 June 2015 we applied with Gosford City Council to modify the development consent to allow installation of a floating wharf instead. On the 19 August 2015, Gosford City Council granted consent to allow this development and amended the conditions of the original consent.
- In 2015 we conducted a review of the EMP and developed amendments to the existing Marina Regulations so that the potential impacts of the approved development can be successfully minimised and/or managed.
- In 2015 we refurbished and launched a small crane (HYAB), installed on the barge.
- In 2015 we repaired the shoulder next to the Slipway, designed and produced a dedicated rack for kayaks.
- In 2015 we renewed and increased capacity of waste receptacles.
- In 2015 we completely redesigned, produced and replaced the Marina Signage.
- In 2015 the Licence area has been altered to allow for the approved development of the wharf.
- In 2016 we redesigned Fire Protection at the Marina and updated the related regulations.
- In 2016 we engaged a reputable company to conduct a Marketing performance Audit for us. The input was invaluable.
- In April 2016 we launched a new, completely redesigned “Killcare Marina” web-site.
- In 2016 we succeeded to attract a Marine Trimmer to run his business from our premises.
- In March - May 2016 we demolished our old timber jetty and replaced it with a new and longer floating wharf.
- In February 2017 we completed the construction of the wharf and systems.
- (In Progress) Ramp.
- Slipway upgrade and repair.